Below you will find documents and links to assist you in your work. If you would like to submit a document or link for consideration in this archive, please contact President Snow at firstname.lastname@example.org with the material or link.
- PowerPoint slides: Keynote 1 • Keynote 2 • Keynote 3 • Keynote 4
- Handouts packet with discussion questions and Bible studies
- Purchase Rev. Dr. Sanchez’s book Sculptor Spirit: Discerning the Holy Spirit’s Work in Jesus and His Followers at this link
The recordings from last week’s district Pastors’ Conference are now available for viewing. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the recording of Monday’s second session, Attention to Spiritual Health, and it was not recoverable. If any of you have any video clips of that session, please consider providing them to our office so we can share them. (Call Kim Myers at 888-643-2961, or email email@example.com to send the file.)
All of the videos are set to allow you to download them, should you choose to.
- Session 1, The Need for Pastoral Self Care: https://vimeo.com/365633362
- Session 2: Session 2 is unavailable due to equipment failure
- Session 3, Receptive Prayer for Spiritual Empowerment: https://vimeo.com/365804037
- Session 4, Attention to the Conscience for Spiritual Self Evaluation: https://vimeo.com/365846391
- Session 5, Attention to Vigilance for Spiritual Protection: https://vimeo.com/365846905
Click here to view or download Chief Doctrines in the Lectionary document. This document is a plan for preaching on the chief doctrines of the Church according to the texts of the One Year lectionary. Using this plan as a guide, a preacher could, in service of his task to preach the “whole counsel of God,” treat on all major doctrinal topics over the course of a year of preaching. It is unknown who originally put it together (we do not know what E.L.A. stands for), but it was translated by Rev. David Juhl for the good of the church.
- Kinnaman, S. A., & Kirchhoff, A. (2006). Worshiping with angels and archangels: an introduction to the Divine Service. Saint Louis: Concordia Pub. House.
- LCMS Kids in the Divine Service: General information bulletin inserts. (2017, May 16). Retrieved October 09, 2017, from https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/kids-in-the-divine-service-general-information
- Just, A. Liturgy [Video series]. http://www.lutheranvisuals.com/Store/liturgy.html
- Mize, G. M., & Porter, R. W. (2017). My little ABC liturgy book. Bangor: Grail Quest Books.
- Nagel, N. (1993). Whose Liturgy Is It? Logia, II(2), 4-8.
- Pless, J. T. (2013). Didache. Fort Wayne, IN: Emmanuel Press. pages 50-54
- Vieker, J. D. (2017, September). Distinctly Lutheran Worship. For the Life of the World, 21(3), 4-6.
Synod’s Preach the Word initiative: Preach the Word (PTW) will help pastors work together to improve their preaching through video modules with accompanying resources and by interacting with seminary professors and fellow preachers.
Pastors can gather with brother pastors to watch and discuss the modules. The power of the Lutheran Reformation was the Word of God. Pastors may commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation by honing their vocation of proclaiming the Gospel.
Click on the link above for access to resources including discussion guides and videos, and to see how the program is meant to be carried out.
Contemporary Arrangement of Liturgy
From President Snow: “If your congregation is perhaps interested in a new setting for the Lord’s Supper using keyboard and guitar, here is one written by James Jurchen, former music teacher at Lutheran High Northeast, that we used regularly at St. John, Battle Creek, NE. The recording and liturgist aren’t top notch, but good enough for you to get the idea.”
Active Shooter Response Plans
We encourage congregations interested in security plans to make use of the following online resources provided by the LCMS Security Officer at Synod headquarters:
The Synod recommends that congregations work with their local law enforcement to put a plan into place that works for the congregation and for the local agency.